Baby Health Nutrition Radio Shows — 18 September 2012
Why You Shouldn’t Give Newborns Honey

Why you really should not give your baby honey.

Honey and Newborns

When babies are under one year of age, their digestive track hasn’t matured enough, nor does it has enough microorganisms to offset a certain bacteria contained in honey. That means if babies are fed honey, they can end up with a particular form food poisoning. Lynn Wilcott of the Food Protection Services at the BC Centre for Disease Control elaborates. “Honey can contain clostridium botulism spores, but what happens with young infants, their intestinal flora-these are the bacteria that live everyone’s gut-are not fully developed. So what can happen is that these spores can populate the infant’s gut or intestine and begin growing there and begin producing the toxin that’s extremely dangerous to the point where the child can become very sick and even die from the botulism toxin.”

The Parent Report’s expert guest is Lynn Wilcott of Food Protection Services at the BC Center for Disease Control.

From the nationally syndicated radio show “The Parent Report”, hosted by Joanne Wilson and heard on more than 100 radio stations. Any advice or information contained herein should never be a substitute for professional and/or medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. For more information please review Terms of Service

Related Articles

Share

The Parent Report

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.