Furnace and Co2 Safety

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisonings during autumn and winter.

Furnace and Co2 Safety

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and toxic. A product of incomplete combustion, it can cause headache, nausea, dizziness and even be fatal. A carbon monoxide detector is a must to have in your house, and as Dr. Bruce Minnes, ER Physician at the Hospital for Sick Children explains, so is taking steps to prevent poisoning in the first place.

“I think we must ensure that our furnaces are in good working order and properly vented. Also, people who use indoor braziers or indoor cooking surfaces may be at more risk, so barbeques, for instance, should be not used indoors, even in the garage. For instance, somebody might try to use the barbeque indoors in the garage in the winter and that would put them at risk for potential carbon monoxide poisoning if the venting isn’t quite proper. And the idling of cars inside a closed garage is also another risk factor for carbon monoxide poisoning. And children shouldn’t be left in the car idling in the garage as this can be a potential hazard.”

The Parent Report’s guest expert is Dr. Bruce Minnes, an emergency room physician at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada.

Adapted from The Parent Report Radio Show. Any advice or information contained herein should never be a substitute for professional and/or medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. For more information please review Terms of Service.

Related Articles

Share

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.