Every summer children die after being left in a hot car. It’s why leaving a child unattended in a vehicle just isn’t acceptable.
Again this summer, several young children died of heat stroke after being left in a sweltering car for too long. And it doesn’t take much time at all considering that 21° Celsius (70° F) outside will quickly rise to 40° C (104°) inside a car. And 24° C (75°) outside will shoot up to 43° C (109°) inside a car, and so on.
While it may be tempting to nip into a store for jut a moment and leave a child alone, don’t. The risks are just too high explains Dr. Bruce Minnes, emergency room pediatrician at The Hospital for Sick Children. “It’s never okay to leave a child alone in a car, not even for a minute in the summer. If you wouldn’t leave a bucket of ice cream, don’t leave a child. The major hazard is heat-related illness; temperatures within a car, even when the windows are cracked even on a comfortable summer day can soar quite high within 15 or 20 minutes. Other sorts of things though are that children can sometimes get out of their car seats or engage the car in some way, or somehow become injured in other ways from things that are inside the car.”
Adapted from The Parent Report Radio Show. Any advice or information contained herein should never be a substitute for professional and/or medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. For more information please review Terms of Service.